Search This Blog

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Make do and Mend

Have to say that I am writing this post on my lunch break, in the sun and listening to The Very Best of Glenn Miller and his orchestra.  I have various cds of his but saw this on itunes and it put all my favourites onto one convenient package to click and download. it is so relaxing!

Anyhoo, last Friday, I went to a quiz with the Mr and the Mr’s friends hosted by Barry Norman randomly.  We thought it was all movies, well you would woudn't you but it was evil general knowledge.  It was only a local one but for the charities that he and his late wife supported.  I thought it was amazing he was there considering recent events but he said that his wife would have wanted him to support the evening and even said that he thought she may have haunted him if he hadn't.  I did want to give him a hug and invite him round for tea though.  Our team was outrageously bad and I think we may have just got into the top half of the scores so least we didn't get the dreaded wooden spoon! 

Silly me though, I didn't take any photos of my outfit but will try to give you an idea of it.  I like to think my hair looked something like the photo below as I used this photo to style it.  My hair is a lot shorter now than it was a few weeks ago after my great chop - about 3 inches or so below the shoulder and it's so much easier to do things with.  I don't class these as victory rolls but more of pin curls with attitude and using a lot more hair!


Clothes wise was this sweet little cardi from Dorothy Perkins....
....and my trusty pair of Freddies of Pinewood jeans. Now ladies, these jeans are seriously so comfortable and just generally awesome. I love the way high waisted trousers give the effect of a tiny waist so love that I can wear these without worrying about them catching on anything and ruining - denim is the 'work' material after all!  Extra exciting news is that I just found out that they have a wonderful website: http://www.freddiesofpinewood.co.uk/
Have a look as they are doing some great high waisted jean shorts and fantastic 1940s and 1950s tops!
Also, good ol' VoH has had the inspried idea to make pencil dresses in some of their most popular materials - yippee!  These are a little more understated than the full circle dress and a lot easier to wear on the tube.  Here is my obvious favourite, same material as my beloved VoH dress that I wore to my hen do.  Hurrah!
Now spring is (sort of) here I feel the need to start making my dresses for summer, also, tradition dictates that I make a one off for the Vintage festival in July.  I think the Butterick Retro patterns are great and so easy.  You can knock a dress up in an afternoon without distractions.  So I have my patterns but wondered about material.  I have found it in the unlikely place of ebay.  I'm not sure if anyone else has done this but I've bought a few pairs of vintage curtains.  Sadly, I don't have one of those magical charity shops by me that seems to have treasures abounding from it on every visit.  I'm not that lucky, so this is the next best thing and it's been a goldmine!  Normally material may set me back £10 a metre and I need at least 4m for the dress patterns I chose.  However, you can get up to 6m from a pair of curtains for half the price and it can be amazing quality.  I am a great floral lover and it seems curtain makers are too because there are so many to choose from. I think it's a great way to use something that needs a good home, saves money and is a bit green too.  Maybe a modern make do and mending???
 
Talking of which. the make lounge in Isington has brought back their 'Make do and Mend' class
http://www.themakelounge.com/workshops/detail/51 The website says:
 
Tired of paying a tailor for simple alterations and repairs that you can easily do at home?



In this 3.5 hour workshop, you’ll learn a variety of practical techniques, including how to securely sew on buttons and clasps, take up hems on trousers, skirts, and jeans (while retaining the decorative stitching), and shorten straps and buttonless sleeves. All materials included plus a takeaway handout to refer to at home.

I think this is an invaluable skill if you're into buying true vintage.  It means you can now buy that skirt/blouse/dress that you love but is too big for you and alter it so it fits like a glove.  Give it a go!
I was on etsy last night to found this  vintage-inspired dress made from recycled red cotton and a patterned bedsheet. It seems that people can make a dress from anything and why not really?
As for tonight I believe there is a big football game on (yawn), plus the fact that I have a poorly Mr P at home needing tending.  I was planning on cutting out a dress pattern but think I'll have my hands full!  Happy Tuesday everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you looked fab! Love those jeans must get myself a pair!
    Looking forward to see your summer creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Image of hair and makeup above copyright Pretty Me Vintage www.prettymevintage.co.uk Thanks!

    ReplyDelete